Last week I saw director Shane Meadows's disturbing and violent drama Dead Man's Shoes (2004), a film telling the story of how the former soldier Richard avenges the wrongs against his younger, mentally challenged brother. A gang of village bullies and petty thieves have, in Richard's absence, made fun of his younger brother and used him as a punchbag. After Richard returns to the village, he learns about how badly his brother has been treated by the gang of thugs and decides to punish his brother's tormentors. His retribution quickly escalates from simple scare tactics to lethal violence.I was very strongly affected by the film. It was rather disconcerting to root for the dangerous and savage Richard, but at the same time the hooligans had it coming. Just as Richard's revenge spirals upward, leaving dead people in its wake, we learn about the terrible ways in which the younger brother has been treated, leaving the viewer with very mixed emotions. Should we support Richard in his revenge or should we hope the bullies escape his wrath?
Despite the very violent nature of the film, I can strongly recommend everyone to see it. Make sure you find a subtitled version, though; it's not easy to hear what the characters say in their rather broad, working-class British accent.
Now it is your turn. In your blogs I want you to share your opinions on a film you have seen recently. The deadline for this assignment is postponed to Sunday, April 22.
No comments:
Post a Comment